European Union and UK Safer Internet Programme Partners
The current programme runs from 2009 to 2013 to co-fund projects around the Union which:
- ensure awareness of children, parents and teachers on how to stay safe online
- provide citizens with national contact points to report criminal and harmful content and conduct, especially on child sexual abuse material and grooming
- foster self-regulatory initiatives in the field
- stimulate children to become involved in creating a safer online environment
- establish a knowledge base on the use of new technologies and related risks by bringing together researchers engaged in online child safety at European level.
Here in the UK, we receive this funding as part of a consortium with Childnet International and South West Grid for Learning . Whilst the IWF is the Hotline element of this partnership for reporting and removing child sexual abuse images, Childnet International and South West Grid for Learning are the central awareness points to raise awareness of the issue and promote online safety to the public and especially children. They will also be providing an online safety helpline for professionals working with young children in the South West of the UK.This partnership approach at the European level helps to make sure all the INHOPE countries work effectively with their national partners, maximising the services they offer to the public and provide a holistic and interactive response to the serious issue of the sexual exploitation of children via technology.